After another few successful outings, ModelExpo, NAM, SASME, ScaleACT, I figure I can relate some more background info on the models that most have seen as solid objects on tables in auditoriums.
What I present here is a potted history of the model’s evolution and there’s some data and links further on in the article. If anyone’s interested in purchasing one, read on.
Entered into large scale aircraft and scratchbuild categories my various Nomads have earnt many placings.
The story for me it started about three decades ago when I was a strapping young Air Force Reserve type that had the odd opportunity to get up close and personal to the type, Much data was recorded and observations made. I have a very good friend by the name of Graeme Morgan who shared time with me at RMIT in our younger days and as he was apprenticed to GAF he has an even closer association having been onvolved with building them. Later on I met modelling legend Fred Harris and he was working on a scratchbuilt 1/72 version making use of a Matchbox Skyservant fuselage. Fred challenged me to build one having seen my 1/72 Mk35 Vampire conversion and so, with the help of the aforementioned friend the 1/72 Uncle Les N22 was born.
Years went by, models were built and sold, notable examples were the ones that went overseas to operators of the type and two that were built especially for Channel 9 for use on their Flying Doctors spinoff series “RFDS”… it would have been nice if they’d told me the scene called for the actor to throw the model against a wall.. I wouldn’t have put so much time into it ! It came back to me in pieces with them asking me if I could just patch it up so they could do it again.
From there I progressed to making the 1/48 version of the N22 along with a 1/72 N24. ( Newer versions of these will resurface from time to time ) Later came the 1/48 N24 and further versions of the 1/72 kit.
Step forward to 2014, and I decided to build one in 1/32. Armed with a Brother Scan-n-cut device, an UP3D printer, plenty of blades, loads of MEK and some coffee I set about scaling up all the data I have amassed and building a manscale N22.
After renderings were done I printed up some aerofoil sections (grey) and tail pieces (green) and a rudimentary nose section which was then worked over with Milliput. The aerofoil section was cast in resin, multiples were made, stuck together to form a wing, which was then cast again as a single piece and used as a basis for building the wing (that beige coloured thing down there) The fluting was done “oldschool” with strips of styrene over flap sections as the 3D printer just couldn’t do the required resolution. I got away with it on the 1/72 version using extruded sprue and the 1/48 version made use of a tie-down strap that had the right serrations.
Then the Scan-n-cut came into play, I cut all the fuselage panels three times over, twice in opaque with window holes in place, and one in clear to sandwich in between.
Details were added, the printed sponsons were attached after being “fixed” with old school filler etc.
The engine nacelle was done in the 1/72 and 1/48 versions by virtue of shaping chunks of Milliput carved to make the shape, but in the 21st century I employed a 3D printer to make what you see here which, after smoothing over with MEK, becomes more like a model kit part to work with.
The fuselage was put together, masked, painted etc. The engines attached and the props (in the feathered position as per the real deal – amazing how many judges at competition haven’t read that note in my references…) were built from 1/48 Focke Wulf props and the spinners were the tips of an appropriate drop tank from the spares box.
I chose the first big one to be a cammed up N22 which in this case was easily achieved by taking the factory drawings, scaling to 1/32, cut up some printouts and using a combination of Tamiya tape ( first attempt via the Scan-n-cut failed dismally ) and the ol’ Blu-Tac with bits of paper. Painting the whole thing FS30219 is the first step, apply the masks for the tan parts, airbrush 34102 green, apply more masks and then hit with black.
That was ModelExpo 2015…. last year:
Then a week before ModelExpo 2016 I decided to go without sleep and build two more based on what I had learnt from the first one.
and I did it all again… with a few short cuts including some resin cast parts for the tail and mid-fuselage.
Here’s the real deal at Moorabbin:
So there it is – a largescale Nomad, with more to come as I can afford the time and money to build them. What follows here is some reference material – most of which can be seen in the instruction pamphlet that accompanies my 1/72 version of the kit. Occasionally I produce 1/72 and 1/48 kits and sell them on eBay, best to just check by doing a search to see if there’s one going at the time you either read this or when you wish to get one. I don’t do orders for kits of the Nomads anymore and will only produce when there’s enough viable moulds going at any time.
However, even though I decided not to go ahead with producing a kit of the 1/32 version ( the return on investment just isn’t there) I will entertain building up a finished example to specificaton but be prepared to part with ~$1200 or more.
I did some artwork for the models that I have built – here’s a selection.
Here’s some reference for anyone interested.